Lecture: Transition as a historical problem between "Achsenzeit" and "Sattelzeit"
- Date: Jan 22, 2013
- Time: 06:00 PM c.t. (Local Time Germany)
- Speaker: Prof. Dr. Paolo Pombeni
- Italian-German Historical Institute in Trent; University of Bologna
- Location: Max Planck Institute for European Legal History
- Room: Lecture hall of the MPI
What do we mean by "historical transition"? Escaping from the trap of considering every development in history as a "transition", the presentation reflects on the problem of which ages could be understood as really bearing the meaning of being in a certain sense pivotal. The focus is on the question of defining a "modern age", which implies two different problems: 1) what does "modernity" mean; 2) which temporal extension do we assume proper for the age shaped by modernity.
Der Vortrag ist auf Englisch, Gäste sind herzlich willkommen!