Lecture: A Documentary History of Papacy
- Date: Nov 12, 2012
- Time: 06:00 PM c.t. (Local Time Germany)
- Speaker: Prof. Dr. Olivier Poncet
- École nationale des chartes, Paris
- Location: Max Planck Institute for European Legal History
- Room: Lecture hall of the MPI
After a brief overview on the history of papacy based on archival research, the lecture will be dedicated to the fundamental question: 100 years after the Annales-School's call for a problem-oriented historiography, are historians today still more dependent on sources than on research questions? By means of the example of french research on papal institutions, the lecture sheds light onto the often puzzling relation between historians and the documentation of papacy.
The lecture will be held in German.